Garagnin – Fanfogna Palace
The complex of the Garagnin – Fanfogna Palace consists of two blocks of Romanesque and Gothic houses that, according to the project of Ignacio Macanović, was enlarged and unified into a whole in the second half of the 18th century. Today it houses the Museum of the City of Trogir open for visitors during the entire year – from October to May on workdays from 09.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.; in June and September it is open from Monday thru Saturday from 10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. and from 5.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.; in July and August, it is opened every day from 10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. and 6.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
The Cipicco/Ćipiko Palaces
The two Cipicco/Ćipiko Palaces, the large and the small ones, were created by connecting Romanesque buildings. In the front of the large palace, there is a Gothic triphora, a work of art of Andrea Alessi, and the doors quarried by Ivan Duknović. The Southern portal was made by Niccolò Fiorentino. On the lintel, there are quarried angels wearing leaves with the inscription that in translation means Know thyself. In the small palace, there is a yard with an external stairway and the door of Niccolò Fiorentino as well as a relief with the figure of Alviz Cipiko.
Alviz was a supracomite of the Trogir galleon that, with the name of Woman, participated in the Battle of Lepanto in 1571. According to the tradition, Alviz Cipiko captured and drowned the Turkish ship Rooster under the command of Captain Ali. The figure at the front of the ship, Rooster, held by a firm hand, was brought to Trogir as a war trophy and exhibited in the atrium of Cipiko’s palace, at the place where today there is a cast, while the original is in the permanent exhibition of the Museum of the City of Trogir.
In the library of the Cipiko family, a fragment of the Supper of Trimalchio from the novel Satirikon by Petronius Arbiter was found (nowadays in Paris). The palace nowadays has room for the Folk music of Trogir and the Josip Hatze Music School - DO Trogir.
The communal Palace - town hall
The Communal Palace – the Town Hall is mentioned in the 13th century; today’s appearance can be attributed to the renovation in the 19th century when the coats of arms of the noble families of the town were installed as well as other spolia that bring back its Renaissance look. The very internal courtyard has Gothic stylistic features with a stairway constructed by Matej Gojković. A duke lived in the palace and ruled the town from there. In the Modern Age, a part of the first floor served for the needs of a theatre.
In the ground floor of the building, there were prisons. Among all of the plaques placed there in the 20th century, one should single out the one placed in 1935 on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Croatian anthem, the plaque placed in 1986 on the occasion of celebrating the 100th anniversary of the victory of the People’s Party and the one placed in 1997 on the occasion of listing the city on the UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites. The Palace has kept the continuity of its purpose until today.
One should emphasize also the Lucić Palace, the birth house of the father of the Croatian historiography, Ivan Lucić, located on the waterfront, the Stafileo/Štafilić Palace located along the main longitudinal street that following the direction of the antique decumans, the group of Andreis houses located in the southwestern part of the town, near the Church of St. Peter, the group of houses of the Dragazzo family, the Berislavić house – birth house of the Croatian Ban and Bishop Petar Berislavić who with his courage in fighting the Turks obligated not only the Croatian people but Europe as well, ...