The Gallery of the Art Collection of sacral objects
The Gallery of the Art Collection of sacral objects of the Cathedral of St. Lawrence is across the Cathedral, along with the town loggia. The permanent exhibition is divided among three rooms. In the first one, there is the Crucifix with the triumphant Christ from the 14th century, from the Church of St. Andrew, and altar pala from the same church with the presentation of St. Andrew with the saints from the 14th century, a work of Paolo Veneziano’s student. Then there is the artwork from the Cathedral: Quirizio da Murano, the Mother of God with the Child, from the 15th century, the doorframe of the old organ from the 15th century, one with the presentation of St. Jerome and the other of St. John the Baptist, of Gentile Bellini, and parts of the wooden painted cabinet of the Cathedral’s organ from the second half of the 16th century.
In the other room, there is artwork of Blaž Jurjev Trogiranin from the 15th century: a crucifix (Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel), polyptych with the presentation of St. Jacob with saints hiding the artist’s signature, (Church of St. Jacob on Čiovo), Our Lady of the Rosary (Cathedral), polyptych with the presentation of Our Lady with the Child and the saints (Church of St. John the Baptist).
In the cabinet in the hall, there is written heritage, while in the last part there is a polyptych of the main Cathedral’s altar with the presentation of Our Lady with the Child and the Saints, from the 13th century, a work of art of a Dalmatian painting workshop. Before the very entrance in the collection of the exhibition, there are remnants of the six leaf Church of St. Mary erected in the 9th century.
The church was demolished in the mid-19th century because of the danger that it may collapse; what it looked like is witnessed by the preserved graphics of C. L. Clerisseau from the mid-18th century that is kept in the State Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg.
The Northern City Gate is a new city gate built in the 17th century, at the time of the Cretan War. It got its today’s look in 1763; the year is quarried on the very gate. The gate also shows the openings for chains with which one lifted and lowered the wooden, movable part of a former bridge. The gate also shows a hook on which there was a coat of arms of the provider (ruler) Antonio Bernardo, nowadays located in the stone exhibition of the Museum of the City of Trogir. In the niche above the opening of the gate, until 1932 there was a relief of a winged lion of St. Mark. From the crack in the niche until 1904, a cypress was growing that the people of Trogir perceived as a piece of heritage and a true miracle. Above the door there is the statue of St. John of Trogir, patron saint of the city of Trogir.
The Southern City Gate was built in 1593 during the time of Duke Delfin Delfino. In the middle, above the door opening, within the decorated stone framework with twisted consoles, until 1932 there was a relief of a winged lion of St. Mark. One has also kept the wooden doorframe studded by large nails.
The City Loggia is situated on the southwestern side of the main city square, on the one side leaning to the Church of St. Sebastian – a tower with the city clock, and on the other side to the Church of St. Barbara. It was built at the end of the 13th century in the form of a porch whose roof carries six high posts. On one of them, there is the coat of arms of the Loredan family. In the 17th century, a stone table was placed in the loggia above which there is a renaissance relief of Niccolò Fiorentino with a presentation of Justice and city patron saints – St. John and St. Lawrence from the 15th century, with several subsequent interventions. In the middle of the relief, until 1932 there was a figure of a lion of St. Mark. On the southern wall of the city loggia, there is a relief of Ban and Bishop Petar Berislavić, a work of art of Ivan Meštrović from 1938. Its interesting roof was renovated during the 19th century when the paving was also renovated. In the past, the loggia served as a courthouse, while today, during the summer months, you can enjoy in the sounds of the Klapa music in there.
In the small loggia situated to the east of the southern city gate, there used to be refuge for those who were late to enter the town after the city gate was closed. The small loggia is a simple building, without any special decoration – the coats of arms of two dukes are visible on it – the one of Francesco Lippoman from the 15th century and Francesco da Mosto from the 16th century. Until recently, the small loggia was peškarija – a fish market, while nowadays in the summer it is a place where souvenirs are sold.
Even though during history it was situated on several different places, nowadays it is located near the southern city gate. Štandarac on which there is a small coat of arms of Duke Ambroz Cornar (1604–1606) was most probably made by the stonemasonry of the Bokanić family.
Park Garagnin – Fanfogna
Park Garagnin – Fanfogna, known among the local population as Garanjinov vrtal, is situated on the land part of Trogir. It was created around 1800 as a synthesis of agricultural land and an experimental property with a park atmosphere – plantations of vegetables surrounded by trees, flowers and elegant paths, beautiful architecture and antique monuments. This park is of a closed type and was the first private botanical garden in Croatia in which there were more than 350 plant species. Unfortunately, with time the park has been deserted, yet it is soon to be renovated.