Churches and monasteries
Saint Dominic Monastery
The St. Dominic Monastery was established in mid-13th century. At the beginning of the 14th century, a single-nave church was built with a Gothic bell tower. It is interesting that the wooden ceiling has beams placed in the form of a bottom of a ship. The main entrance with a lunette and a relief presenting the Mother of God in the middle, the beatified Augustin Kažotić and St. Mary Magdalene, a work of art of Nicola Dente, is in the Western church wall. Inside, on the Southern wall, there is the prominent tomb of the Sobota family, a work of Niccolò Fiorentino that in the mid-15th century was raised by Katarina Sobota after the tragic death of her husband and son.
The church walls are decorated with paintings with scenes from the lives of individual saints created by Palma Giovane (17th century), Jacob Constanti (16th century), and Giovanni Battista Argenti (17th century). Within the Monastery, there is an organized art collection in which, among others, there are works of art of Blaž Jurjev Trogiranin (15th century), a buckle in the shape of a medallion, Gothic reliquaries from the Dominican Church of St. Cross on Čiovo, a work of art of Trogir goldsmiths of the 15th century, ...
Our lady of Mount Carmel church
The Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is mentioned in the Middle Ages; it was expanded in mid-17th century. Along with it, there was a brotherhood of the same name. Above the main entrance, the front board of the sarcophagus was secondarily used from the mid-14th century, in the middle of which there is the relief of the crucified Christ, while on the sides there is the presentation of the Annunciation. Inside there is the late Renaissance altar with an image of the Mother of God with the Child, while on the large altar there is the image by Konstantin Zane – Our Lady of Mount Carmel (17th century).
All Saints church
All Saints Church was renovated at the end of the 17th century and is located between the Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and St. Dominic and, with it, there was a brotherhood of the same name. In the altar, there is an image, a work of art of Baldassare d' Anna of the 17th century. Due to it being decrepit, the Church was closed at the end of the 19th century, however, in the second half of the 20th century, it was used as a gallery. Today it is a souvenir shop.
Saint Peter's church
The St. Peter’s church used to be within the Benedictine monastery intended for noble daughters. The tradition says that is was established by the wife of Bela IV in the 13th century. From the monastery that was used until the 18th century, there is a yard left with a crown of the well with the coat of arms of the Marković family. The Markovićs ordered the altar pala from the author Antonio Molinari (17th century) and the sisters ordered a Baroque organ cabinet. The Church, today with a Baroque interior, has a decorated wooden cassette ceiling and wooden statues of St. Peter and St. Paul, while above the main entrance there is the stone bust of St. Peter, a work of art of Niccolò Fiorentino.
Saint John the Baptist church
The Church of St. John the Baptist (13th century), at the time of construction was an integral part of the men’s Benedictine monastery. It has the features of the Romanesque style, with one nave, a belfry and a portal on which there is a prominent sculpture of Lamb of God, created in the manner of master Radovan. In the mid-19th century, it was closed and with time it was used as a temporary stone exhibition. On the wall in its interior, remnants of frescos have been preserved. Nowadays, the church has been turned into a collection of church sculptures. Among others, there are the works of Alessandro Vittoria exhibited (four apostles), of Niccolò Fiorentino, a burial plaque with the figure of abbot Savin, etc.
Saint Sebastian church
The Church of St. Sebastian was erected in the mid-15th century as a votive church as a sign of thankfulness for salvation from the plague. It is of simple form with a semi-circled apsis turned towards the South and with the entrance towards the North, since with its eastern wall it leans on the neighboring Church of St. Mary and instead of a bell tower, it has the city clock tower. The Renaissance front and the sculptures in the interior are a work of art of Niccolò Fiorentino. Certain decorative elements from St. Mary’s, after being demolished, were built into its walls. In the mid-19th century, it was turned into a warehouse. Nowadays it is fully renovated and keeps the memory of the fallen defenders of the Homeland War.
Saint Barbara church
Old Croatian three-nave church of St. Barbara (St. Martin), with three semi-circled apses in the East, a bell tower in the middle of the dome and shallow niches in the sidewalls, was built in the early Romanesque style in the 11th century, with its northern wall leaning on the town loggia – the courthouse. In its construction, parts from the antiquity were used, in particular posts and capitals. In the interior of the church, there is a stone beam with a text mentioning the restorer Petar and his wife Dobrica, witnessing that the earlier church was rearranged. The transom of the entrance door belongs to the former church with the decorative motif of three crosses, intertwined with three-strand braid and surrounded by symbolic characters. From the second half of the 19th century, it was used as a warehouse and at the end of the century, it was turned into a depository of stone fragments. It was renovated on several occasions during the 20th and at the beginning of the 21st century.
Saint Michael church
The bell tower of the Church of St. Michael is a remnant of a demolished church and monastery, devastated in the Anglo-American bombing on 22 February 1944. The church was established in the 14th century, while the monastery, intended for the daughters of citizens, was founded in 1595. The monastery was abolished by the French rule in 1806. Later, there was a public school on the premises of the monastery, while at the time of the First World War there was the soup kitchen for the poor. The church bell tower was built at the end of the 16th century and it is assumed that it was the work of Tripun Bokanić’s workshop. The bell tower was thoroughly renovated in 1952, of which there is an inscription on the bell tower.